How to Cure the Freedom Disease —- The Theories of Dr. Samuel Cartwright.
Dr. Samuel Cartwright was a famous physician in the early and mid 19th century with practices in Mississippi and Louisiana. A student of Dr. Benjamin Rush, he was known for his work with yellow fever, cholera, and was once the personal surgeon to President Andrew Jackson. However Dr. Cartwright’s legacy focuses on one aspect of his practice; slavery.
During the mid 19th century Dr. Cartwright was considered the preeminent physician who specialized in treating slaves. In 1851 he published an article called “Diseases and Peculiarities of the Negro Race” in the popular magazine De Bows Review. In it he described a mental disease illness “Drapetomania”, or the compulsion to flee from servitude. According to Dr. Cartwright this disease was especially common to the “negro race”, especially those who are treated too well. His overall treatment for Drapetomania was to treat slave kindly, but not too kindly,
"If treated kindly, well fed and clothed, with fuel enough to keep a small fire burning all night—separated into families, each family having its own house—not permitted to run about at night to visit their neighbors, to receive visits or use intoxicating liquors, and not overworked or exposed too much to the weather, they are very easily governed—more so than any other people in the world."
However for slaves who still suffered from Drapetomania, Dr. Cartwright recommended the following prescription,
"Before the negroes run away, unless they are frightened or panic-struck, they become sulky and dissatisfied. The cause of this sulkiness and dissatisfaction should be inquired into and removed, or they are apt to run away or fall into the negro consumption. When sulky and dissatisfied without cause, the experience of those on the line and elsewhere, was decidedly in favor of whipping them out of it, as a preventive measure against absconding, or other bad conduct. It was called whipping the devil out of them."
Later in his practice Dr. Cartwright also recommended the removal of the big toes of any slave that continued to be disobedient, permanently preventing him or her from running.
As well as Drapetomania, Dr. Cartwright also described a condition he called “Dysaesthesia Aethiopica”. According to Dr. Cartwright, Dysaethesia Aethiopica was an insensitivity of the skin “peculiar to negroes”. This condition also disrupted a slave’s intellectual faculties and caused disobedience and “rascality”. To treat Dysaethesia Aethiopica Dr. Cartwright recommended the following,
"The best means to stimulate the skin is, first, to have the patient well washed with warm water and soap; then, to anoint it all over in oil, and to slap the oil in with a broad leather strap; then to put the patient to some hard kind of work in the sunshine."
Dr. Cartwright continued his practice until his death in 1862. Today his theories have been easily debunked as pseudoscience and scientific racism. It also serves as a reminder of the more shameful aspects of American history and social issues today.
To read a copy of Dr. Samuel Cartwright’s “Diseases and Pecularities of the Negro Race” click here.
- petercookedarwin likes this
- joereaves reblogged this from peashooter85
- jasonlovespants reblogged this from ratak-monodosico
- i-eat-my-own-god likes this
- loyalreader99 reblogged this from historiandaily
- hellodarkhorse likes this
- fjl0 likes this
- voltereto reblogged this from ratak-monodosico
- tnsharpshooter likes this
- afterthenight likes this
- eastofactivist likes this
- wrynthedergon reblogged this from irtaza1
- wrynthedergon likes this
- augtown likes this
- not-bridget likes this
- sunnydisposish likes this
- feeleepy likes this
- blondejaneblonde likes this
- waltsom74 likes this
- encanto80 reblogged this from ratak-monodosico
- encanto80 likes this
- amateurpet likes this
- ratak-monodosico reblogged this from peashooter85 and added:
- usa-cav reblogged this from peashooter85
- spacecadetboy likes this
- journeyroundtheglobe likes this
- scarabattoli likes this
- dragonjimm likes this
- irtaza1 likes this
- irtaza1 reblogged this from peashooter85
- la-cueva-del-chivato likes this
- nmacparlan likes this
- wynfrith likes this
- beepboopimarobot likes this
- iithunder05 likes this
- smileyman2002 likes this
- zsadistcortel reblogged this from vigwig
- vigwig reblogged this from frostneko
- sequiri-me reblogged this from peashooter85
- kammartinez reblogged this from peashooter85
- frostneko reblogged this from peashooter85
- sixaughtfive reblogged this from peashooter85
- sixaughtfive likes this
- ppan678 reblogged this from peashooter85
- cowboyfromvalhalla likes this
- spanishsilver likes this
- wecantbestopped reblogged this from peashooter85
- skankdude reblogged this from peashooter85
- jrseau24 likes this
- zombie-x-lover reblogged this from kosmonaunt